The Urban Exchange office is open 9 am until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday for picking up your keys. If you are picking up your keys on your lease start date, the lease will start at 12 noon so please be prepared to pick them up no earlier than 12 noon. If you are planning to move in on the weekend, please remember that we are not open. Contact UrbanExchange@MatchboxRealty.com if you cannot be there during the business hours. Understand, that if other arrangements cannot be made, there is a $50 cash call-out fee to the person that will get the key for you on the weekend or after business hours.
Where To Go
- When arriving at Urban Exchange to check-in; parallel park on Water Street and enter the leasing office, in the building to your left at the entrance under the blue bridge at 238 E. Water St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
- After you have completed the check-in process, you may move your car into the P1 or P2 parking garage to unload if you have chosen an interior parking space or one of the exterior lots, if you have not chosen an interior parking space.
- Check with us early via email to see if you do have any outstanding paperwork or finances that will need to be taken care of on move in day.
- We will verify that we have all necessary paperwork signed by you.
- Have your photo ID with you.
- We will verify that you do not have an outstanding balance.
- We will provide you with your move-in materials, including a key fob, key & our Welcome Guide.
- If you are bringing a car with you, please complete & return the Parking Policy. Email UrbanExchange@MatchboxRealty.com the completed form or bring it with you when you move in. You will receive the appropriate parking pass when this paperwork is turned in.
- If you have a bicycle, complete & return the Bicycle Policy to receive your free bicycle permit. Email UrbanExchange@MatchboxRealty.com the completed form or bring it with you when you move in. You will receive the bicycle pass when this paperwork is returned.
The first tenant to check-in for your apartment will be given the move-in inspection, which is due back to our office within 5 days. The move-in inspection is your and your roommates’ opportunity to document any existing cosmetic damage to your apartment to ensure you are not held liable for those preexisting damages at move-out. If you don’t want to be charged for it, WRITE IT DOWN! There is 1 move-in inspection for the entire apartment. If there any functional damages you notice upon your move-in, such as a broken toilet seat, submit a maintenance request. You’ll be given a mail key when the move-in inspection form is returned.
*The exception to the move-in inspection is if you signed an as-is lease. Keep in mind that since there is no turnover period with an as-is lease, there is no formal move-out/move-in inspection procedure (and thus no move-in inspection). Tenants who sign an as-is lease are given (per Specific Provisions in your lease) 10 days from commencement date of their lease to report in writing any preexisting damages through an email UrbanExchange@MatchboxRealty.com with pictures attached.
Contact Harrisonburg Electric Commission at 540-434-5361 to establish electric service in your apartment. Your address is: Building Number E. Water Street, Unit Apartment Number, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 and can be found on your lease. If you are a student, you may contact UDAP to assist with the deposit that HEC will charge.
The water and sewer connections will be on when you move in, and you will be billed monthly to your online rental account. It is automatically connected to the tenant that has the alphabetically higher last name. The Urban Exchange has no control over this and cannot alter the billing method. You will need to make arrangements with your roommates to pay the portion that they will owe you.
You may not receive your first bill until 30-60 days after you move in, and Matchbox will send you an email when they have billed this to your account. You may pay the water bill with your rent.
If you are interested in cable service, you will need to contact Comcast cable at 1-888-COMCAST or you can visit them directly at their office just about one block away on Mason Street. The physical address is 160 B North Mason Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22802. You can access them online through www.xfinity.com.
We also have access to DirectTV services, but you will need to contact DirecTV in order to get their services.
High speed internet service will be available in your apartment via the CAT—5 jacks in your wall. In addition, wireless internet will be available in the courtyard and in the common areas of the West Wing. The username for the wireless network will be urbanexchange and the password is courtyard. To upgrade the bandwidth in your apartment, contact HighSpeedLink. Please know that only one internet jack works per room. Please connect to the lower jack and if you need internet on the other wall, we can certainly help you switch that around or guide you on how to do it yourself. You will need a wireless router for your apartment if you choose not to use the Ethernet connection.
When using the trash and recycling chutes, please use the following guidelines:
- Please break down your boxes into smaller pieces and then put them into the chutes. They cannot go down the recycling/trash chutes in their regular sizes.
- Please tie your bags tightly before putting them down the trash chute. Put glass in a bag before dropping it down the recycling chute.
- If the chutes are clogged, hold onto the trash/recycling in your apartment until the chutes are cleared. Please report any clogged chutes in the office so we can get it handled quickly!
- If you have furniture, large trash, contact the Management Office. DO NOT leave it in the trash rooms or in the building. They can help guide you into areas or donation centers that may be able to take your items.
- If you are found leaving your large items in the trash rooms or around the building, there will be a fee for their removal that will be charged to your account.
The Urban Exchange has three hand trucks/dollies that you are more than welcome to borrow. Please know that there are few rules that need to be heeded when thinking about borrowing these hand trucks.
- These are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- To allow fairness amongst all of our tenants, we can only allow the hand trucks to be used for a total of three hours at a time.
- All hand trucks must be turned in by 5 p.m. during the weekday.
- When you borrow the hand truck, you are responsible for any damage, up to and including the replacement of the equipment.
- The equipment should not ever be used for carrying people or animals, horse-play or any items over 150 pounds.
Land-line Telephone Service
If you would like landline telephone service, please contact Verizon at 800-VERIZON.
During the time that you are moving in and unpacking we ask that you remember to break down your boxes. Our trash chutes can only handle trash bags and small boxes. Anything larger will clog the chutes. If it does not go down the chutes, it will be your responsibility to take it out of the building and find a way to dispose of it yourself. It is not expected for tenants to leave their trash or any items in the garages or trash rooms if it does not fit down the chutes.
You do not need to reserve an elevator on move in day. Almost EVERYTHING fits into the elevator so please just move in with patience. Other people will be coming to move in on certain days, as well, so we just need to share the elevators.